Accountant/financial manager based in Christchurch with a heart to see the love of Jesus shape the world? We’ve been waiting for you!
Role Summary: The primary purpose of the Accountant / Financial Manager position is to effectively and strategically manage the financial requirements of Arotahi/NZBMS & Kānuka Hopestill Limited and its clients.
Arotahi (New Zealand Baptist Mission Society), has partnered with Kānuka Hopestill Ltd to search for an accountant / financial manager.
We are looking for someone with a missional heart and accounting and financial management skills. The position will be based out of the Kānuka Hopestill Limited office as part of the Oxford Terrace Baptist Church site (286 Oxford Terrace Central, Christchurch). Hours can be negotiable with the opportunity to scale the position from part-time 16 hours(0.4) to full-time 40 hours(1.0). If part-time, the role will be focused on Arotahi, but additional hours will be made up of other Kanuka Hopestill clients.
Who: Arotahi & Kānuka Hopestill Limited
Arotahi (New Zealand Baptist Mission Society)
At Arotahi, we are about hand – carved mission for all people and all places. We believe that NZBMS exists to bring mutual gospel renewal to the people and places of this world. We believe that every person and every place has been uniquely carved out by the hands of God, crafted and moulded to be a part of God’s larger plan. Arotahi sees the details, focusing on the particularities of people and places for a missional journey that is wholistic and sustainable.
Kānuka Hopestill Limited – Charitable company 100% owned by Baptist Union of New Zealand on behalf of Oxford Terrace Baptist Church.
Where did we come from?
We grew out of OTBC, who have experienced significant growth since the earthquakes in their property portfolio. The expertise required to administer long term commercial leases, growing regular and casual hiring of their facilities, run a café, administer a significant number of residential tenancies, associated maintenance, and further develop their site was beyond the expertise of a volunteer church property committee. They also had a vision of themselves as a church for the churches, serving the wider Baptist world in our region.
Areas of Responsibility:
• Provide financial oversight of NZBMS and Develop Together accounts.
• Supervise and manage the NZBMS Accounts Clerk’s tasks and responsibilities.
• Prepare financial reports and consolidated accounts for NZBMS and its various cost centres as required.
• Prepare annual budgets for both NZ and overseas operations and activities
• Ensure NZBMS develops and maintains ‘best practice’ accounting functions, systems and processes.
• Oversight of payroll payments.
• Coordinate audits and all other compliance requirements, including IRD, Charities Commission and Companies Register.
• Manage investments and cash resources as required
Work conditions and relationships:
Working from the Kanuka office situated in the recently redeveloped Oxford Terrace Baptist Church attempt at building a modern-day monastery https://otbc.org.nz/stage-one/
Work will be primarily in the office, requiring attending other meetings as required. Some travel is required to connect with the Arotahi and Baptist Union staff in Auckland. You must have a good working relationship with the General Director of Arotahi/NZBMS, the General Manager of Kānuka Hopestill Limited (to whom you will report depending on work) & potentially other Kānuka staff and clients.
Most frequent other contacts will include
NZBMS Staff (Auckland and non-Auckland based)
Baptist Union Senior Accountant
Overseas-based staff and partner organisations
Baptist Union of NZ staff
Baptist Churches and Trusts
External organisations, including banks, Charities Services and investment bodies
Personal Skills and Attributes:
As organisations with clear Christian values and with a global mission mandate, it is desirable that staff members:
• Have a devotion to Jesus Christ and His purposes in this world
• Are active participants of a local Church
• Have an interest in world mission
• Personal Organisation
• Self-Development and Learning
Work Skills and Attributes Essential:
• Experience in a similar finance role, with appropriate qualifications, BCom or equivalent
• Ideally, CA or ACA qualified
• Experience in preparing Accounts, Budgets, GST returns
• Understanding of accounting reporting requirements
• Sound working knowledge of administrative systems and processes
• High computer literacy, including familiarity with Microsoft Office and Xero
• Excellent time management skills and attention to detail
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• A team player
• Ability to adapt to changing and different structures
• Ideally, experience dealing with foreign currencies and understanding forex
• Understanding of mission-based Christian organisations
• Understanding of the local Church scene
• Financial qualifications
• An outstanding eye for detail and accuracy in everything you do
This job description may not include all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described and may be amended in the future.
We’re looking forward to hearing from you, with your CV and cover letter, at email@example.com. Our application deadline is 31st March 2023. Arohanui, the Arotahi and Kānuka team.